Monday, January 28, 2008

Thoughts for a Monday

We had a nice weekend. Sometimes they go really fast and it feels like we are running around the whole time. Sometimes they drag on and I find myself looking forward to Monday when things get back to normal. This one was a nice mix of both: some activities and some time to hang around the house and do very little.
We decided to rejoin the YMCA on Friday. I have been missing the activities, mostly the pool. When I was swimming on a regular basis I felt good. My body felt toned, my clothes fit nicely and I felt healthy. I am not really a scale person but mostly go on how I am feeling. Lately I am feeling big and felt ready to do something about it.
This morning I dropped Oliver off at daycare and took Tristan to the Y. I left him at the childminding there, hoping he wouldn't be crabby (which he is apt to be) and went for a swim. I was expecting it to be a slow and hard workout but was pleasantly surprised. I did my warmup and then 10 laps (1 lap = there and back) of front crawl. And I felt ok! Then I did my cool down and hit the showers. I am feeling kind of achey and tired in a good way and am looking forward to a good nights sleep.Tristan was good at the childminding, he was asleep part of the time and then watched the other kids the rest of the time. He was all smiles when he saw me again. It felt nice to do something for myself.

On an unrelated note, a question about weaning. I am currently still breastfeeding as this child refuses to take a bottle. I am kind of feeling like I want to stop nursing but Tristan is not. He is not really a fan of the bottle so far. Oliver weaned himself naturally, it was really quick and painless for both of us, but I sense that will not be the case this time around.
Is it wrong to want to stop doing it before the baby wants to? He is almost 6 months old and has been exclusively breastfed up until this point.

1 comment:

Misty said...

In my non-medical opinion, 6 months is a bit young to expect a child to wean himself. Did your oldest wean that early?

At 6 months, an infant's body still has a large need for breastmilk/formula, so I think you just have a decision to make. As much as I am a pro-breastfeeding advocate, I also understand that no one should ask a woman to do something with her body that she doesn't want to, even if it would be best for her child.

I doubt anyone is going to tell you it is 'wrong'. Sure, there are recommendations by the WHO and AAP. But it is your body. It is really up to you. You might consider talking to a lactition before you make any final decisions to see the benefits you are giving up for both you and the baby, though. Just make an informed choice and own it.