Monday, March 10, 2008

Me, myself and I

I have done a lot of thinking these past few days. Nothing too deep and profound, but important nonetheless (at least to me). I've come to a couple of resolutions.

1) I will take more time for myself.
Friday afternoon I had to myself and it was grand. I did nothing and it did me a world of good. Brad ended up going out after work so I was on my own for dinner/bath/bed with the boys. Usually I would be kind of put out to be on my own again (he worked late a couple of nights earlier) but I was fine. I felt rested and calm and ended up having a great night on my own with the kids. I need to do that more. I need to stop feeling guilty for leaving the kids in daycare an extra hour or two so that I can have some "me time". They both love going there (Tristan was all smiles apparently!) and it's good for them. And me.

2) I will stop running around making sure the house is presentable.
This is a hard one. I am not a neat freak but I do like the house to be in order. And I am realizing that with 2 kids under the age of 2, this is almost impossible. There will always be toys lying around, cheerios on the floor (where the dogs can't reach them) and general clutter. I need to be ok with that. I need to learn that dishes can be left in the sink, laundry can pile up for a few days (any longer and it is regrettable later :) and there can be some pet hair on the floor. I want to be the mom that enjoys her kids rather than the mom that runs around getting her stuff done and dragging the kids along. I used to be that mom. When did it stop?

3) I need to get my finances in order.
I am not in a great deal of debt but I would like to have a savings account with more that $200 in it. I would like to have some money set aside for the kids education, a vacation, an emergency. Now that I will be making more money, I need to start getting this together.

4) I will visit my family this year.
My family lives overseas. I took Oliver when he was about 6 months old but have not been since. My grandma is getting older, she is having some health issues, and I feel like we should go soon. I have spoken with Brad and he is in agreement. We just need to decide when. And buy the tickets.

5) I need to take care of myself.
Why do a lot of moms stop doing this? It ties in with #1, but it includes eating well and exercising regularly. I do both already, but lately have been slacking off. The gym has child minding and Tristan has gone before and been really good. There is no excuse really. Other than I am lazy :)

6) I need to learn to enjoy the moment.
When I am playing cars with Oliver, I need to think about playing with him and not what we are having for dinner. When Tristan is being cute and babbling away at me, I need to enjoy it and not wonder if I have time to vacuum. I need to enjoy the moments I have with these kids. I want them to know that they are the most important thing in my life and that I love being with them.

2 comments:

Constance the Thirteenth said...

What a great list! I think that so many people could make one that looks very similar. But major kudos to you for actually thinking about how to make yourself better - I know I could definitely take some notes and do the same for myself!

Leah said...

I was laughing at myself recently that I have not even had time to make new years resolutions yet this year! Good for you for taking the time to think about yourself.