Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sleep and Dads

Things here have gotten better. That seems to be the pattern. Things are ok for a while, there's a glitch, I freak out, I calm down and things get better. Hmmmm..... maybe there's a lesson to be learned.
In actuality, I am making an effort not to let the sleep(less) situation get to me. It's hard. Very very hard. But I know it will get better.
I think the biggest problem is that there is no real sleep schedule during the day. When Oliver is at daycare, Tristan tends to have 2 relatively good naps (morning and afternoon). We go for a walk or run errands midday.
But when Oliver is at home, Tristan usually ends up falling asleep for a short time in his car seat on the way to somewhere, or waking up because Oliver is 2 and noisy.
When Oliver was a baby, I stuck to a routine. We were home at "nap time" and that was that. I want to do the same thing with Tristan but that would essentially mean staying home all day, since Oliver has a midday nap (12-2 or so)...... Not too sure what the solution may be.

In other news, Brad officially asked for his 12 weeks parental leave yesterday. I know he was nervous about it but he did it. There has been no response yet but I expect there will be something today. I have noticed a change in his attitude, he seems more relaxed and more positive. I know he is looking forward to spending time with the boys and quite frankly, he deserves it. I am surprisingly happy for him. I thought I may be more upset, having to go back to work early, but I'm not. Brad is a really great dad and I feel lucky to have a man who WANTS to spend time with his kids.
Plus, I told him that while he is at home he will assume my responsibilities: cleaning, cooking, groceries, laundry..... and he agreed. I think it will be a wake up call for him. He is considerate, he has never ever made a negative comment about me being at home (quite the opposite, it's always an admission about how much easier it is to go to work). But he is also a man, and clueless about this type of thing. So we'll see what happens. Should be interesting.

No comments: